Since returning from my trip to the Gambia a few weeks ago I have done some research into the country, the people, the way of life and the reality of Gambian men. There are a couple of reasons I came across the information that I am about to share with you. Firstly, a ‘friend’ I made out there became a little too friendly, and after declaring his love continuously for my friend whilst in the country (and did not get the response he was looking for) he proceeded to do the same with me. He then began asking me for money, time and time again. I now have limited [update-no] contact with him. Secondly, on return from my trip I considered undertaking some charity work in the country, to build a school was one idea, but since speaking to people undertaking similar projects and researching on the internet I have heard many, many horror stories, and therefore have decided that I am not in a position at the moment to do such work.
In my previous post on sex tourism in the Gambia I discussed how many (often of an older age) women appear to travel to the Gambia in search of a young, fit African man. The benefit to the Western woman here being clear. However my research has shown that the benefits for the men far outweigh those to the women.
When looking, there are literally hundreds of stories on the internet written by predominantly English women. I found this extremely shocking, whilst insightful to read. Here is a summary of some of the things I read:
- Gambian men declaring their love for Western women when they have a Gambian wife and kids
- Gambian men introducing their ‘sister’ to the Western girlfriend/wife when in fact it is their Gambian wife
- Gambian’s marrying the Western woman to get a British passport then when reaching England disappearing never to be seen again
- Gambian men that serial date- they are being named and shamed on the internet!
- The men pray 5 times a day in attempt to make up for all the wrong they are doing by serial dating/having multiple wives etc (perhaps opinion rather than fact)
- On average Gambian men have 1.6 wives
- On average Gambian men have 8.4 children, whereas Gambian women have 6.4
These examples are not isolated cases, there are so many examples of this on the internet, and what’s funny is that many of the stories quote things that the men have said to them, and they all say things that I have myself heard from Gambian men! Some of these stories many can be found on the Naming and shaming Gambian ‘love cheats’.
I would like to point out that this information is all gathered from research and not my personal experience. I would also like to say that I am not by any means saying this is the case for all Western/Gambian relationships. I am simply sharing information that I was very shocked to read.
If you have any similar or contradictory experiences I would love to hear then-please comment below!
Please note- I have had an overwhelming response to this post. If you have had a bad or good experience with Gambian ‘love cheats’ I would love to feature your story- e-mail me the details at email@example.com